Joseph, the Earthly Father of Jesus
TEXT: Matthew 1:18-25
- Key Verse
Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. — Proverbs 8:34
Obeying a stop sign may save your physical life. Reading and obeying God’s Word will save your spiritual life. No doubt one of the reasons Joseph was selected out of a world of men to become Jesus’ earthly father was that he could recognize and then obey God’s command.
- What Scripture in our text indicates that Joseph was a man of God? Explain.
- Name one thing that was done which shows that Joseph honored the Law of God. See Luke 2:21-24.
- The Scriptures record in Matthew 1 and 2 at least three times when Joseph heard God’s directions and then was obedient. Name them.
- When do you think Joseph understood what Isaiah 7:14 meant?
- In verse 20, what, in the natural, might have made it difficult for Joseph to obey the command of the angel?
- It would have been a different story if Joseph had not obeyed God. Give a situation of your own experience when obedience paid off. Now jot down and discuss the possible consequences of disobedience concerning the situation you have noted.
- Which of the following prevented Moses from entering into the Promised Land? See Numbers 20:8,11.
- speaking to the rock
- not smiting the rock enough times
- smiting the rock
- Which of the following saved Noah from the Flood?
- his family
- the ark
- all of the preceding
- In our daily lives, obedience is of utmost importance. What did Jesus say were the traits of a wise man? a foolish man? See Matthew 7:24-27.